The 12th Annual Mermaid Tears Seaglass Festival took place virtually in 2021. Every year, the seaglass shard contest is a highlight of the festival, which takes place in Souris, Prince Edward Island, on the east coast of Canada. Judges adapted the contest this year to be a photo contest with five categories. Beachcombers worldwide were invited to send in up to three photos in each category with no entry fees charged. The categories were Most Unusual Piece, Best Sea Glass Marble, Best Sea Pottery, Best Sea Glass Bottles, and People’s Choice.
Three members of the 12-person Mermaid Tears Seaglass committee selected the winning photos for 2021. Photos were judged on size, color, and overall photo quality. Winners in each category received a $50 cash prize. Beth Ryan’s photo was selected as People’s Choice winner and she’ll also receive a free one-year subscription to Beachcombing Magazine.
Thanks to everyone who entered photos and congratulations to the winners!
- People’s Choice Sea Glass Photo: Beth Ryan
- Most Unusual Beach Find Photo: Lorna Chaisson
- Best Sea Glass Marble Photo: Becky Matheson
- Best Sea Glass Bottle Photo: Dominique Bourg
- Best Sea Pottery Photo: Pamela Doyle
For more about the festival, videos, and photos of the winners, visit peiseaglassfestival.com.
View winners of past beachcombing contests:
- North American Sea Glass Festival Shard of the Year 2022
- North American Sea Glass Festival Shard of the Year 2021
- Sanibel Shell Show Photo Contest 2021
- Beachcombing Magazine Seashell Photo Contest 2022
- Virtual Beachcombing Festival Photo Contest Winners 2020
Learn what judges are looking for in sea glass contests in You be the judge: The inside scoop on sea glass contests.
This article appeared in the Beachcombing Magazine September/October 2021 issue.
Is it possible that there will be an in-person sea glass festival in 2022? I am planning a visit this summer and would love to attend! Thanks, Judi Rempel