The wildly popular Sanibel Shell Show Photo Contest sponsored by Beachcombing magazine had seven main categories and two special categories. There were 424 entries from 15 countries, and nearly 300 votes were cast for the People’s Choice award. Lorna Littrell won the People’s Choice First Prize award with her photo of a beautiful horse conch at sunset, taken on Fort Myers Beach. Second Prize went to Karen Blackford’s gorgeous shot of shellers taken in a tide pool along Middle Gulf Drive on Sanibel. Third Prize was awarded to Amy Tripp’s beautiful bivalve photo of a zig-zag scallop.
Thanks to everyone who entered their photos and voted for the People’s Choice winners!
1. First Prize, Gastropods and First Prize, People’s Choice: Sunset Treasure by Lorna Littrell, Fort Myers Beach, Florida
2. First Prize, People with Shells and Second Prize, People’s Choice: Sandbar Shell Shoppers by Karen Blackford, Sanibel, Florida
3. First Prize, Bivalves and Third Prize, People’s Choice: Zig-Zag by Amelia Tripp, Kice Island, Florida
4. First Prize, Live Mollusks: Live Janthina janthina with Bubble Raft by Amanda Baker, Boca Raton, Florida
5. First Prize, Fossil Shells: Calcite Naticidae in Matrix by Dawn Markoski, Ruck’s Pit, Florida
6. First Prize, Sanibel Beach with Shells: Low Tide Lovelies by Angie Michaels, Sanibel, Florida
7. First Prize, Funny Shell Photo: No Pants Today by Jacqueline King, Sanibel, Florida
8. Honorable Mention, Sanibel Stoop: Rise and Shine, Stoop and Find by JoEllen Simons, Sanibel, Florida
9. Honorable Mention, Your Favorite Shell: Sacred Geometry by Capt. Jason Fullerton, Kice Island, Florida
This article appeared in the Beachcombing Magazine May/June 2021 issue.
No live shelling: Be sure shells are empty and sand dollars, sea stars, and sea urchins are no longer alive before you bring them home.